Thursday, October 14, 2004

DEBATE SMACKDOWN

I just haven't had time to do much blogging lately as I'm fully engaged in the preparations for the National Conference on Christian Apologetics coming up on November 12 & 13 in Charlotte, NC. The Conference is hosted by Southern Evangelical Seminary and one of my responsibilities is overseeing the planning and preparations for this momentous gathering of some of the nation's most august apologists, including Norman Geisler, Peter Kreeft, Hank Hanegraaff, Ron Rhodes and Egun Caner. Visit the SES website to learn how you can participate in this historic event.

Anyway I did watch the Third Presidential Debate last night but in the blogosphere, that is now old news. What is fascinating however, is all the backlash from several of Kerry's comments last night. I had to watch the debate on a little 13" TV with rabbit ears that only gets CBS and ABC. Between a rock and a hard place, I chose the lesser of the two evils: ABC. I was shocked when ABCs internet poll called it a tie. That clearly meant Bush won hands down.

I sure thought so. I only yelled at the TV twice--first, when Kerry droned on and on about his deep Catholic faith and then said he would never let his faith affect his politics. In other words, he has no faith, except pleasing his extremely liberal constituents. The second time I yelled was when the President didn't answer the question about the minimum wage issue and went right into his talking points about education. I am obviously a fair and balanced yeller. Despite several slips and missed opportunities, I came away feeling energized and encouraged about the President's chances in the election.

I have to admit my mental state was influenced by a long time of prayer just before the debate. I prayed two specific prayers: first, that President Bush would be calm, collected and cool and that he wouldn't talk ahead of his tongue. I also prayed that Senator Kerry's smooth words to tickle ears would be confounded. During the prayer I sensed again the peaceful presence of the Lord and was reassured that my future and my hope isn't dependent upon the upcoming elections, the state of the economy, or the might of our extraordinary military. My hope is in the Lord and if I may misquote our coins, "In God I Trust."