Wednesday, December 15, 2004

NO MO WAR

Jim Wallis and his pacifist buddies at Sojourners magazine are at it again. They've recently bought a full-page ad in USA Today to show off their New Confession of Christ. Read it at the links above.

In this
overtly political hit piece, Wallis played the God card to score points with his liberal constituency. I was not overly impressed with his list of fellow travelers. Most are so open minded that their brains fell out years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the liberal left use this piece in their attempt to persuade others that they actually hold the moral high ground.

I find myself suspicious of Pacifists, having claimed to be one, for a season. At the heart of my pacifism was a large dose of cowardice and a keen ability to deny reality. I was a silly boy whistling in the dark. It wasn't until a few years after my conversion that I discovered the Just War Theory and quickly abandoned my pacifism to become a true peacemaker.

I agree with C.S. Lewis, who during WWII, said that "war is very disagreeable." Be that as it may, evil and aggression are a reality, and we may be doing more harm by ignoring or not stopping evil. He said that a society of pacifists won't remain pacifistic long!
"Only liberal societies tolerate Pacifists. In the liberal society, the number of Pacifists will either be large enough to cripple the state as a belligerent, or not. If not, you have done nothing. If it is large enough, then you have handed over the state which does tolerate Pacifists to its totalitarian neighbor who does not. Pacifism of this kind is taking the straight road to a world in which there will be no Pacifists."