Friday, October 01, 2004

SCALIA ADJUDICATES HUMOR

I've heard a lot of snickering today about Scalia's remarks about orgies. I snickered a bit myself at his attempt at humor. I know most liberals can't imagine there is such a thing as compassionate conservative jokes, and I'm not sure Judge Scalia's contribution has helped.

What Scalia was really referring to was the issue of a national morality. More and more the Supremes are becoming the High Priests of the Secular Religion in America. It appears the old liberal mantra "you can't legislate morality" had finally been proven bogus. The truth is "who's morality is going to be legislated?" Judge Scalia wisely answered:
"'It is blindingly clear judges have no greater capacity than the rest of us to determine what is moral,' Scalia said."
I agree. Our nation's history over the last 100 years has proven that when morality is left to a committee decision, the standard of judgement will always default to the lowest common denominator.