Tuesday, October 05, 2004

POPEYE AND OLIVEOIL DEBATE

I want to make it perfectly clear that I have the highest respect for Dick Cheney. Dick Cheney has served the nation with integrity, brilliance, and determination. However, I'd love to stick a sailor's cap on his head and a pipe in his crooked little smile and voila Popeye the Sailor Man! (If you don't know who he is, you're too young to be a Boomer.)

John Edwards, however, is another story. My perspective is tainted by the fact that I've had to suffer that poseur as my Senator for the last 6 years. Edwards is despised in North Carolina by both Republicans and Democrats for ignoring the needs of the state while advancing his political ambitions. He does, however, remind me of OliveOil, the love interest in the Popeye cartoons. She was always primping, posturing and whining while Popeye bravely protected her from his archenemy, Bluto.

I just hope Popeye Cheney got approval to bring along his trusty can of spinach to the debate.